[Gllug] Plank Drivers

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Thu Aug 8 08:51:09 UTC 2002

>Has anyone got any suggestions? Avoiding binary-only modules is critical
>because my system doesn't use the usual IA32 calling conventions so I
>must recompile everything; so that rules nvidia out, I guess.

Yep. The XFree86 nv driver is actually pretty good, but for 2D only.
For 3D, it'll drop back to software rendering. Just curious, though...
what have you done to alter the calling conventions? And perhaps just
as importantly, why?

>Any others recommended? G450, or are they too old these days?
>
>(My mobo isn't AGP-capable, for what it's worth.)

I was just going to suggest a Radeon, but I think they're only AGP.
There's definitely a PCI version of the G450 (and I think G550, too).
The G450 I have at work is stunning for 2D, and more than acceptable
for 3D. It won't give you the extreme frame rates that you'll get from
a Radeon or GeForce, but I still get 40fps or so in Unreal Tournament,
for example :-)

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk