[Gllug] Qmail problem

will will at hellacool.co.uk
Fri Aug 30 10:55:39 UTC 2002

Martyn Drake wrote:
> Just a thought, but does it use PAM for authentication (and if so, has it
> been set-up properly for the Qmail POP3 service)?

I checked the run script for pop3d and it had the following in it:

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/local/bin/tcpserver 0 pop-3 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup \
hostname.of.server /home/vpopmail/bin/vchkpw \
         /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir 2>&1

I have changed this to the recommended
(http://lifewithqmail.org/lwq.html#pop-imap-servers) script:

#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/local/bin/softlimit -m 2000000 \
  /usr/local/bin/tcpserver -v -R -H -l 0 0 110 /var/qmail/bin/qmail-popup \
   hostname.of.server  /bin/checkpassword /var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d Maildir 2>&1

and ensured that /bin/checkpassword was installed.  After restarting qmail I get
the following error after trying to log in:

[will at localhost will]$ telnet hostname.of.server 110
Trying IP.of.server...
Connected to hostname.of.server.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK <8085.1030704585 at hostname.of.server>
user test
+OK
pass test
-ERR unable to scan $HOME/Maildir
Connection closed by foreign host.

Even after making the permissions 777 on the /home/test/Maildir directory, any
further ideas?

TIA
Will.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk