[Gllug] Normal looking subject so as not to get rejected

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Thu Aug 15 20:04:30 UTC 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, Paul wrote:

> Just want to check - it is possible to have virtual
> pop3 accounts over SSL isn't it?

Yes.

> I know with https you can't have it working with
> virtual domains because by the time the SSL is set up
> you've lost the domain name (or something - correct me
> if I'm wrong here).

Pop3 authentication happens in the datastream so as long as you are happy
to set up the ssl certs to be more general than per specific domain it
wont be a problem at all.

If you want the ssl certs to be specific to each domain you'll need a
separate IP per domain as with https.

> I'm using postfix with vm-pop3d and mbox mailspools at
> the moment, hopefully moving to exim and something
> else in the future. What can people recommend as an
> SSL-enabled POP3 (and maybe IMAP) server that works
> nicely with exim and virtual domains (i.e.
> authentication is separate to /etc/passwd for security
> and so it can be easily administered by users via a
> web interface). But also that does standard POP3 as
> well.

Take a look at tpop3d. It is a very nice pop3 daemon that supports
multiple authentication methods as well as lots of other nice features.

I've just checked the docs for it and while it does not support ssl
internally you can use an ssl wrapper with it to do the job.

> It's only for light traffic, say a dozen domains, so
> nothing heavyweight needed like Cyrus.

>From the looks of it tpop3d should scale reasonably well.

Jason Clifford
--