[Gllug] OT Scanners

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 15 18:02:43 UTC 2002

On Wed 14 Aug, Colin Murphy wrote:

> On Tuesday 13 August 2002 11:46 pm, Chris Bell wrote:
> > On Tue 13 Aug, will wrote:
> > > Hello all,
> > >
> > > I am going to buy a scanner so I can convert all my colour print
> > > photo's to an online photo album and to preserve them.
> >
> >    If you have the choice, use a good quality film scanner rather than a
> > print scanner as a lot of quality is lost in the printing.
>
> Morgans are doing SCSI film scanners for 200.
>
> http://www.morgancomputers.co.uk/shop/detail.asp?ProductID=692&CategoryID=99&SubCatego
> ryID=18
>
> Chris - does this scanner fit the bill for 'good quality'?

   Whichever scanner you use, it makes a lot of difference if you can use a
good quality monitor and colour matching lighting in neutral coloured
surroundings. Some of the older television tubes used very expensive
rare-earth phosphors to give the correct colour response, especially an
extended red rather than an orange-red. Cheaper screens are unlikely to give
the correct answer.
   Another problem is due to the ordinary flourescent lighting tubes. The
eye can tolerate a lot, but if you look carefully their colour is often
strange, and photos taken with a mixture of lighting often show flourescents
as a strange pink colour.
   A very useful facility used in television colour matching is a push
button which instantly swaps between the full colour RGB drives and
identical monochrome drives, allowing persistence of vision to accentuate
any colour errors despite a less than perfect monitor.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk