[Gllug] OT computers in the movies

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Wed Aug 28 23:04:59 UTC 2002

On 28 Aug 2002, Dave Cridland wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-08-28 at 22:57, Liam Delahunty wrote:
> > I wrote:
> >
> > >Haven't seen the film, but read the book Contact (Carl Sagan), though to be
> > >honest not sure what came first...
> > >http://us.imdb.com/Title?0118884
> >
> > The book did, just read that he (Carl Sagan) died during production of the
> > movie.
>
> That's a relatively strong hint, isn't it?
>
> I was going to reply that I'd read Contact some time before the film
> came out. Apparently the film is not worth seeing, even if you haven't
> read the book. :-)
>
> Dave.

Yes I can confirm that  the book was good and the movie was bad. Don't see
the movie, just read the book. "Cosmos" is also a good book of his (based
on a very good TV programme that was quite inspirational to me twenty
years ago when it came out) as is "The Demon Haunted World", which nicely
debunks most modern pseudo-science wishy-washy
crop-circle/alien-abduction/psychics-are-useful arguments that permeate
popular media today. A good read!
Steve

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk