[Gllug] Cheep backup solution

Martyn Drake martyn-d at moving-picture.com
Wed Aug 21 16:41:14 UTC 2002

From: "Jonathan Dye" <jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com>

> I'm looking for a cheep backup solution and I've just spotted that scan
> (www.scan.co.uk) are doing a parallel port ditto drive (10Gb) for 24 quid
> (exc VAT).  Anyone got any comments (good or bad) about this drive and
linux
> support for it (which I think is fine - imm module?)?

I'd go for a firewire-based external hard drive.  They're not that
expensive, and it'll work in Linux just fine (assuming that you're running
kernels above 2.4.11 as I believe Firewire support is a bit flakey in
earlier versions).  Dabs do a 120Gb firewire drive for just 269 including
VAT.

Regards,

    Martyn

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk