[Gllug] [OT] RAID controllers and hard disk speeds

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Thu Aug 8 15:04:17 UTC 2002

On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:

> It's not optimal.  The faster drives will be slowed down to the speed
> of the slowest.  In other words, the fast drives will be waiting
> around for the slower ones.  You will get no speed increase from the
> faster drive.
>
> There are many people who say that you should stick with identical
> drives.

This is very good advise. Do remember that some RAID controllers will barf
on non-identical disks in horrible ways.

If you are going to the trouble and expense of hardware RAID (and I very
much recommend it for any data that is important to you) go for the
optimal setup.

Jason Clifford
--
UKPOST.COM	 	           get your @ukpost.com address now...