[Gllug] Icewm

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Mon Aug 26 08:32:54 UTC 2002

"Steve Nicholson" writes:

>Is it normal for XFree86 to grow as applications are opened in X?  I
>noticed that adding background images to the desktop increased XFree86's
>size (RSS).  What doesn't RSS stand for, I couldn't see it in the man
>page for ps?

Yes, it's normal. RSS stands for Resident Set Size, i.e., the amount of
physical memory that's currently being used by that process (as opposed
to swapped out to disk, for example, or not yet loaded for systems that
demand load pages). Note that X doesn't lie about its memory usage, as
implied earlier in this thread. But X clients use resources that the X
server has to supply, and hence its memory usage increases. For example,
if an application creates an X bitmap or pixmap, then that shows up as
part of the X server's memory usage, not the client's. You can get a
high level view of where the X server is using its memory with:

	cat /proc/`/sbin/pidof X`/maps

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk