[Gllug] Killing ssh tunnels

Kim Hawtin kim at freesolutions.net
Tue Aug 27 12:47:29 UTC 2002

On Tue, Aug 27, 2002 at 01:28:51PM +0100, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-08-22 at 12:06, Jonathan Dye wrote:
> > I have got mutt to set up an ssh tunnel to a mailserver using the
> > imap_preconnect option.  This starts ssh in the background so that when I
> > exit mutt the tunnel is still around.
> > What I would like to do is have a logout script (or something) that kills
> > the ssh when I close the terminal.  But, I don't want closing a different
> > terminal to kill off the ssh tunnel.  Can anyone suggest a way I can do
> > this?
>
> Possibly me being stupid, but why not use TLS for this?

yes TLS is the way to go if you have access to the mailserver
configuration files ... and can restart the mailserver ...

one thing i used to do as a user on a large shared system, was to use
stunnel, listening on a port on localhost, to wrap over SSL to a remote
server running the desired SSL protocol, like POPs or IMAPs.
then connect to the port on localhosts with your client etc...

i have even use SMTP over stunnel to a remote server, then redirecting
it on the remote end... i also used ssh to fire off the processes at
various points in the scripts for remote actions..

i had at one stage where everthing from my laptop that went out over the
was over SSL, 'cept ICMP =)

yours,

kim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk