[Gllug] Network synchronisation tool

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Wed Aug 28 10:36:45 UTC 2002

Dave Cridland wrote:

>On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 16:21, Xander D Harkness wrote:
>

>>And for variety : http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~bcpierce/unison/
>>

>Interesting. Have you used this in anger?
>
>Dave.

I have not used it across different OS platforms.

I have used it extensively for backing up my girlfriend's laptop from
University back to my boxes at home.  Useful as she had a couple of Gb
in her home directory and backing up everything every time was
impossible within the network constraints.

Stuck it on a cron job and she was happy (especially when she
accidentally deleted stuff)

I set it in batch mode so that I could make changes to various settings.
 As it was set to make changes in both directions I could easily upload
new music or stick new links on her desktop.

I have also used it both on ssh and samba shares across the local
network for backups to hard drive.

Cheers
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk