[Gllug] Pointer arithmetic with void *

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 20 23:00:22 UTC 2002

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Tethys uttered the following:

>>Either write out textual data or use htonl() and friends
>
> I agree completely. Unfortunately, I didn't design the file format,
> and data is all written as little-endian. On the plus side, it's
> documented as such, so there's no confusion.

Ah, good: I feared that this was some horrid file format whose author
hadn't considered endianness (yes, there are some such: I fix them
whenever I see them, assuming it's possible; having a home directory
NFS-mounted between i586 and UltraSPARC boxes with near-identical
software installed on each helps...)

--
`Mips are real and bitrate earnest, shifting spam is not our goal;
 silicon to sand returnest, was not spoken of the soul.'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk