[Gllug] patent office consultation paper

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon Aug 12 09:35:28 UTC 2002

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 10:20:04AM +0100, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> On Sat, 2002-08-10 at 23:22, Jim Bailey wrote:
>
> > I promise to keep on reading though but does any one know of any links
> > to balanced sites that put this into English rather than legalise?
>
> http://uk.eurorights.org/issues/eucd/ is probably a good place to start
> getting it translated.
>
> The important thing (at least as far as the patent office is concerned)
> is that the EUCD is already agreed, and *must* be implemented into
> national law by EU member states by this December. It's bad news
> whatever, but there are a fair number of options which can be "switched
> on" by each member state when it's enacted into law. These cover
> exemptions from bits of the bill for certain purposes, i.e. exemptions
> to circumventing technological protections for disabled access,
> compatibility, research, etc. We want to make very sure that the
> government switches them on for us, as they'll go some way towards
> reversing the damage this thing will do.

Thanks ... I have had difficulty getting my head round the words in this and
distilling it down to something that I can complain about.

Can we have a joint effort on flagging up the points and them the individuals on
this list can pick the ones that worry them & contact their MP about them.

If not most people will, I suspect, give up -- possibly one reason for the
turgid language.

BTW: what was the name of the clear English campaign ? I would like to send
them this document as something for them to complain about.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk