[Gllug] Resetting VT after logout in Debian

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 27 23:49:36 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-08-28 at 00:35, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 12:25:54AM +0100, Mike wrote:
> > On a RedHat system, one gets 6 configured virtual consoles. One can log
> > in, do stuff, and logout. When one logs out, the screen is reset, and
> > the respawned getty process outputs the contents of /etc/issue and a
> > login: prompt at the top of the screen.
> >
> > On a Debian box, the respawned getty dumps the contents of /etc/issue
> > and the login prompt at the current cursor position, whatever it happens
> > to be. Anyone wandering up to the console can potentially see a
> > screeenful of the last users session.
>
> This is a shell thing, not a getty thing.

No, it really is a getty thing (in RedHat at least). From mingetty(8):-

OPTIONS
       --noclear
              Do  not  clear  the screen before prompting for the
              login name (the screen is normally cleared).

so the screen clear is the default behaviour for mingetty. I was just
hoping there was a way to configure this for Debian, short of switching
from agetty to mingetty.

>  Put something like this in
> ~/.bash_logout
>
> case "`tty`" in
>     /dev/tty[0-9]) clear
> esac
>
> and in /etc/skel/.bash_logout to make it a pseudo-default.  You
> can't enforce it, afaik.

I suppose I could. I'm just looking for a tidier way.....

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk