[Gllug] Hard Drive Problem

Jackson, Harry HJackson at colt-telecom.com
Wed Aug 7 09:11:17 UTC 2002

Installed NT on a box last night and then went to install RH6.1. For some
reason it froze during the partitioning of the hard drive and we where
forced to hard reboot.

We then tried to do an install from scratch using RH6.1. Just before the bit
where you create the partitions it complained with an "error cannot read
file" (or something similar). I tried windows and it hung completely. I
booted up the system using the Linux care CD and noticed that two of the
partitions where being read as having over 1.7Tb of disk space on the them
which is impossible since its a 40Gb disk. I deleted all the partitions that
I could and created some for Linux of 2Gb and tried again but got no joy,
same error.

I was a bit dubious last night of using the mkfs tools to see what I could
do because I have never had to use them. I did not see anything in fdisk
that looked as if it could refresh the disk.

Has anyone seen this before? What has happened to this disk? Can you
completely shag the disk beyond repair by screwing the formatting?

Harry

COLT Telecommunications
Registered in England No. 2452736
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
Tel. +44 20 7390 3900

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk