[Gllug] Re: Gllug digest #2082 - Software for Schools

John Hearns john.hearns at cern.ch
Wed Aug 21 13:31:19 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-08-21 at 14:43, Allen Wayne wrote:
> I work part time in a junior school as the IT technician. The problem with
> schools running linux is not the OS but thet other packages they like to
> use, most of which are dictated by the requirements of the national
> curriculum. We run a cutdown version of word (called taking first word),
> together with various database, music, graphics programs. It is no good
> giving a 7,8,9 yearold child Gimp and then having to teach them not to press
> every button on the control panel, what we need is a cut down version of
> Gimp sutiable for teaching.
How about Tuxpaint?  http://www.newbreedsoftware.com/tuxpaint/

And following links from there look at Tux4kids http://www.tux4kids.org
and Debian Jr  http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-jr/

Thus the idea of a linux demo is a good one, but
> you need to take into consideration the other software.... giving demos on
> Gimp and Star Office would just confuse the hell out of most IT teachers I
> know. I have from time to time turned up at school with a linux
> laptop...with various comments ranging from nice to 'too complicated'. You
> need to look at what the systems are being used for, and the support
> required/available.
Point well made.

Hmmm... Debian Jr... not a bad idea...
You know what the Jesuits said about giving me the child.
I can just see it now... a band of Perl Monks teaching in schools,
terrifying the life out of any child caught mentioning Redhat or SuSE.
:-) for the humour impaired

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk