UW-IMAPD (was Re: [Gllug] Servers and other irritations...)

Stephen Harker steve at pauken.co.uk
Tue Aug 6 12:11:53 UTC 2002

On Thursday 01 August 2002 16:10, Mike Brodbelt wrote:
> * Matthew Kirkwood <matthew at hairy.beasts.org> [020801 00:36]:
> > [0] Actually, imap in general terrifies me, and only
> >     because of the number of poor unfortunate boxes I
> >     have seen r00t3d through the WU imapd.
>
> Some years ago, my dial-up goot rooted through UW-IMAP. Being a dial up,
> I hadn't been paying that much attention to security.....
>
> Mike.
Is UW-IMAP well known for knackering systems? Should I be worried about using
it? I use it here at work for the company but there are only about 30 users
on it so it doesn't work that hard. This is not the first time someone has
mentioned it on this list in the past few months so there must be something
in it.
Steve
PS. I googled this topic for the minimum 30 seconds stipulated by the
Damerell-Google threshold before wasting everybody's time posting this to the
list and exhibiting my cluelessness. See previous pointless trolling/flaming.
:-)
--
Stephen Harker
steve at pauken.co.uk

"The sooner we fall behind, the longer we have to catch up!"

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk