[Gllug] Re: Gllug digest #2082 - Software for Schools

Frank Kelly fa.kelly at btconnect.com
Wed Aug 21 09:56:53 UTC 2002

On Tuesday 20 August 2002 22:42, Chris Bell wrote:
> I did some work in a primary school earlier this year, and when I
> mentioned Linux I was told that the school was required to provide the
> software specified by the government. Does anyone have any further
> information?

I attended my goddaughter's parents-day recently, as I tutor her in several
subjects.  One of her complaints is that school machines and software are
substandard (her own machine at home is very up to date and fast) - and this
restricts her ability to work in school.  Her teacher countered this by
saying that the school hoped to have some money to upgrade the system soon
but it appears they are still using Win95!

I asked the teacher if she was aware of the open source movement and Linux and
she said she was, but that the school was required to teach Microsoft by the
government.  I suggested to her to her that a switch to Linux would make
upgrading much easier and a lot cheaper to which she just smiled and
shrugged.  My impression was she didn't really give a damn.

Interestingly, in a recent assignment, one of the questions was 'Give reasons
why you chose to use this program (MS of course) to carry out the project.'
I suggested my goddaughter answer: 'Because the government gives me no
choice'.  I also suggested that she mention open source alternatives in
appropriate exam questions.

I have considered taking on the task of writing to head-teachers and promoting
Linux myself.  Think Suse might help fund this?

Cheers

Frank Kelly

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk