[Gllug] OT Scanners

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 13 22:46:47 UTC 2002

On Tue 13 Aug, will wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am going to buy a scanner so I can convert all my colour print photo's to an
> online photo album and to preserve them.  I have looked on scan.co.uk and they
> have a few, but I am looking for recommendations on scanners that Gllug members
> might used and found to produce good results under Linux.  I have a budget of
> about £150 and am looking for pretty good quality scans.  The interface can be
> parallel, SCSI, USB or magic as long as it works with Linux (and preferably the
> Gimp).  I have a SCSI card that I don't currently use that has an external
> connector about 30 x 5 mm and I think the chipset is 'NCR 53c801 (written on one
> of the chips) but I don;t know any more about it than that.  Any suggestions?

   If you have the choice, use a good quality film scanner rather than a
print scanner as a lot of quality is lost in the printing. The density range
on film should be at least 30:1, the normal 8 bit limit is 256:1, but a
print will stuggle to manage 9:1 because of flare and reflections. The
negative-and-print system also tends to use a low contrast film with high
contrast print, so that the input range that a well exposed film will handle
can be even higher. The normal printing process will then distort the
density curve much more than will a good electronic scanner, tending to
reduce the gain of the darkest and lightest areas but stretch the middle.
   I have a Nikon Coolscan 1000 35mm scanner, Epson Perfection 1200S A4
flatbed, and Agfa StudioScan IIsi foolscap/oversize A4 with transparency
adaptor (full size top illuminator), all SCSI, so I have a choice of methods
for producing huge files.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk