[Gllug] newbie/problem

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Tue Dec 10 10:18:53 UTC 2002

> Hello!
>
> I've just installed SuSe linux 7.3 on my PC, however an error ocurred with
> my username and password creation during the installation process.
>
> So now I have installed distribution I find that my username/password
> doesn't work so I can't logon. :-(.  Is there some way I can check or just
> change this without re-installing from scratch?

Yes.
Boot the CD in rescue mode.
When it's loaded, mount the root partition you created on /mnt and edit
/mnt/etc/shadow

The top item should be root, so you just edit that line, removing the random
letters and numbers between the 1st and 2nd :

(That's the encrypted password, remove that and just typing root will log
you in... then you can change the passwords of any users you created with
the passwd command)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk