[Gllug] Kernel 2.5

Paul Nasrat pauln at truemesh.com
Tue Dec 3 12:51:06 UTC 2002

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 12:05:33PM +0000, Stephen Harker wrote:
> Hi All,
> I am going to compile a 2.5.50 kernel but was wondering if anyone had
> done this recently and knows whether the IDE stuff is working again. And
> whether it's likely to trash anything in it's current form :-)

I think the IDE stuff is ok I've been playing with 2.5.47, just about to
try the new module stuff.

Ensure you have Rusty Russell's module-init-tools if you are compiling a
modular kernel.

http://www.uk.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/rusty/modules/

0.9 alpha is most recent but is alpha 0.8a is most recent "stable" :)

I'm just about to try upgrade to 2.5.50-mm1

You may need a patch for the following bug (text stolen from davej's
diary...)

2.5.50
Decided to take a peak at Linus' latest and greatest, and found that a
new security feature had been implemented. Due to a slip up (a logic
condition had been inverted), rm(1) no longer worked. This also led to
lots of fun things like ls telling you a file didn't exist, whilst touch
telling you it was write-protected. Amusing.

Unsure if mm1 fixes this though ...

Happy compiling

Paul

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk