[Gllug] GNOME Disk Activity

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Fri Dec 13 01:07:07 UTC 2002

On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 14:00, Sudhir Anand wrote:

> I would be interested to know if the person concerned attended the
> presentation.  Quite frankly, one of the aims of the presentation was to
> compare it against KDE and in my opinion failed miserably.

The presentation concerned GNOME 2, which is not the incarnation of
GNOME that most people are running. It was more about new features that
the GNOME 2 environment will offer than anything else, and in that
regard, I thought it was well presented.

I don't recall anything in the description or intent of the talk that
would have made a comparison to KDE relevant. The speaker was a GNOME
developer, and as such was well qualified to talk about GNOME.
Comparisons between it and KDE are best left to end users, who've
experienced both desktops as a user, first hand.

FWIW, I find both desktop environments get in my way. I enjoy running
several of the GNOME apps (Evolution, Gnumeric, Gnucash, Abiword),
whereas I don't habitually use any KDE apps. I still prefer a Window
Manager, and an xterm as my desktop, but I never thought GNOME was
siginificantly worse than KDE, and in the long term I think it's the
desktop project that'll go further.

My 2p worth,

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk