[Gllug] Re: Universities and degrees in computing.

David Irvine maillist at glasgownet.com
Sun Dec 29 16:15:16 UTC 2002

Peter & Sarah Childs writes:

> On Saturday 28 December 2002 19:56, Paul Cupis wrote:

>> > I may be biased here, but Imperial College, University of London
>> > has a great computing department.
>>
>> I agree with this. And I'm biased.
>>

> 	I did not think Kent was bad.

Cranfield have quite a good reputation. Warwick have a good computing
department from what i've seen.

One word of warning, STAY AWAY FROM leeds.ac.uk  Their postgrad computing
staff can't even write hello world. I'm not kidding btw, I set a basic
problem to teach some MPI code, basically they had to write hello world in
fortran and start and stop mpi, two statements extra. I got emails telling
me the compiler was broke because it failed to compile because of syntax
errors.

I rest my case.

Imperial, and UCL all seem to have good computing departments, UCL and
Imperial are getting a lot of funding for HPC clusters and the like which is
always cool stuff.

HTH

David

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk