[Gllug] Any NetBSD users lurking around here?

chris.wareham at btopenworld.com chris.wareham at btopenworld.com
Wed Dec 11 10:19:03 UTC 2002

mriscott at yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> > Anyway, are there any other NetBSD users subscribed or am I in my usual
> > minority of one? I use Linux at work but prefer NetBSD at home, as it's
> > a little bit more reliable on the dubious selection of machines I own.
> >

> I'm intending to try it on my elderly Mac Quadra some time soon.
> I have tried debian 68k linux on it, but it crawls somewhat - so I thought
> I'd give BSD a go.
>
> I'll tell you how it goes ....

NetBSD tends to run faster than Linux on older hardware, (and yes I have
benchmarked this on several architectures). The filesystem doesn't
appear to perform as well as the two main Linux ones, even with softdeps
enabled, but things that aren't so reliant on disk I/O have demonstrably
quicker under Net.

I've installed Net on Vaxen, Alphas, Sparcs, a 68k Mac and Intel
machines. The Mac install went smoothly (on an LC III), but I haven't
had much chance to play with it as the machine's currently at my
brothers place. Steer clear of OpenBSD for a 68k Mac, as development is
pretty much dormant - so much so that their was talk of dropping it from
the official releases.

And finally, don't try installing Net on the original LC - the MMU isn't
upto the job, or on a 68LC040 based machine - the FPU unit is riddled
with bugs not worth working around.

Chris

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk