[Gllug] Named

Jason Clifford jason at ukpost.com
Wed Dec 11 16:13:00 UTC 2002

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Rhys Hopkins wrote:

> I have just inherited some bind configuration files which contain the
> notation
>
> *	IN	A	123.45.67.89
>
> which I have never come across before.
>
> Empirical evidence suggests that this notation works OK and matches any host
> not matched elsewhere in the domain.
>
> Can anyone commment on this, I am not sure that it is The Right Thing to
> have in one's config ( it just generates a slight feeling of unease ).

It's just a wildcard record and it is perfectly valid.

Whether it is appropriate to your requirements or "A Good Thing" is
something you have to decide yourself.

There are times when wildcard records are very useful however unless you
know why you have one I recommend against using it.

Jason Clifford
http://www.ukfsn.org/			Sign Up Now

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk