[Gllug] ADSL Linux

Tom Taylor tom at stolen.servehttp.com
Thu Dec 12 15:10:32 UTC 2002

On Thursday 12 December 2002 11:43 am, you wrote:
> On 12/12/02 11:10, "Allen Wayne" <Wayne.Allen at rhul.ac.uk> wrote:
> > having finaly begun to admit that I want ADSL at home, what ADSL modem do
> > people reccomend? The idea is vto purchas my own and then probably join
> > plusnet or demon.
> >
> > Any comments advice??? Current home network runs via SUSE 8 and a 56K
> > modem
>
> Hi Wayne,
>
> Good choice, although I would HIGHLY recommend going for cable instead of
> ADSL! I've been with PlusNet for two months now and had about a weeks
> outage so far ;( Nothing compared to the downtimes I had with BT last year
> though.

I would also recommend cable over ADSL. I have been with Telewest BlueYonder
for 6 months and have had less than an hours downtime that I have noticed in
the entire 6 months, this was in the early hours of the morning.

Also, modem drivers are no problem as the modem connects to your computer
through a network card.

(disclaimer:
The above comments are in my opinion, it may not be the same for everyone.)

--
Tom Taylor

It's only when you've lost everything, that you're free to do anything.

(Resudaed)
Registered Linux user: #295513

No HTML emails please

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk