[Gllug] machine load testing

Adam Bower adam.bower at framestore-cfc.com
Mon Dec 2 15:53:17 UTC 2002

Andy McGarty wrote:

> How about leaving it as an open mail relay and/or with telnet running with
> the prompt saying what the user name and password for root is?  I'm sure
> some kind sole will find it within 24 hours and stress it for you!!!!

well that wouldn't be very good as its behind a firewall so it wouldn't
get loaded at all ;)

> Or something from the SETI project, might as well use the Hertz for
> something vaguely useful?

That will only stress the cpu, and I am not convinced by the kernel
compiling route, I want to *really* stress test the box, completely flat
out for 24 hours. I may try running bonnie and cpu burn and some kind of
memtest all at the same time instead... It looks like there is no evil
tool to do my bidding... yet...... Muwhahahahaahaa.....

Adam

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk