[Gllug] OT: 1U rackmount suppliers

John Winters john at linuxemporium.co.uk
Wed Dec 4 14:14:36 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 13:19, David Irvine wrote:
> Hi Guys
>
> Anybody got any experience of buying 1U systems? I'm looking to buy a
> 1u, Supermicro do a couple of cracking systems, but they only sell
> through boston in the uk, which don't even have a working website.
>
> Can anybody recommend any other brands?

I would always recommend *against* going for 1U systems unless you
absolutely have to.  They will never be as well cooled as 2U or larger.

If you're planning and building your own cabinet full of 1U boxes then
you can make sure they all have sufficient cooling.  If you're just
buying one to go in someone else's cabinet then you have less control.

Does your cabinet owner charge by the 1U?

John

--
The Linux Emporium - the source for Linux in the UK
See http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk/

We had a woodhenge here once but it rotted.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk