[Gllug] Telewest T & C

Mark Fowler mark at twoshortplanks.com
Fri Dec 13 14:50:08 UTC 2002

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Chris Bell wrote:

> NIC. I was considering installing a Linux firewall running masquerading and
> proxy services for as many computers as they wish to connect, so I looked at
> the Telewest/BlueYonder web site, but did not find any useful information on
> their terms and conditions. Does anyone have any more information? Thanks.

Not sure about the legal position, but a few technical pointers.  Blue
Yonder limits connections by MAC, so you can only use the card that you've
registered with them[1]. You can register a more cards with them over the
phone if you want, but I've had lots of problems with that.
If at all possible, rip the working NIC out of the computer that's
currently connected and stick it in the Linux firewall box.

A link that was helpful when I used to use BlueYonder.

BlueYonder and Smoothwall:
 http://www.ordior.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/BySwFAQ.html

(which is useful even if you don't use Smoothwall)

Mark.

[1] Okay, you can also possible tell a good NIC what MAC address it has,
but that's a whole other problem.

--
  Mark Fowler
  http://www.twoshortplanks.com/          The 2002 Perl Advent Calendar