[Gllug] newbie/problem

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Thu Dec 12 17:23:17 UTC 2002

On Monday, Dec 9, 2002, at 21:02 Europe/London, Dylan wrote:

> On Monday 09 December 2002 20:40, justin wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I've just installed SuSe linux 7.3 on my PC, however an error ocurred
>> with
>> my username and password creation during the installation process.
>>
>> So now I have installed distribution I find that my username/password
>> doesn't work so I can't logon. :-(.  Is there some way I can check or
>> just
>> change this without re-installing from scratch?
>
> Log in as 'root' - you DID remember that password? and you can change
> the user
> passwords with yast2
>
> If you've forgotten the root password, then short of rescue disks it's
> reinstall... (I think)

Nope. If you're using lilo then you'll prolly want to boot with:

linux init=/bin/bash

Which will boot Linux and use bash as the init process. Delete the
password for root in the password file, or just change it using the
passwd command and reboot. Once you can log back in, just make sure
that root has a secure password before doing _anything_ else :)

As long as it's possible to log in as root, you're laughing.

Cheers,

Simon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk