[Gllug] RAID 1 and RAID 5

David Irvine Maillist at glasgownet.com
Wed Dec 4 16:08:21 UTC 2002

On Wed, 2002-12-04 at 16:00, Andrew Halliwell wrote:
> > i'm assuming you're speaking about a HW solution?
>
> Looks like software to me... He mentioned /etc/raidtab after all.

This is just theory, but... Raid 1=2 disks mirrored. Raid 5=3 or more
disks with parity.

At present you have raid 1.

if you pull out disk two from your raid 1 setup, you have 1 working disk
with your data.
if you then put two new disks in you now still have your raid1 setup,
plus 2 disks which is enough to make a failed 3 disk raid5 array

so if you then mkraid? the two disks it should make a degraded raid5
disk array.

If that works you can copy your raid 1 data onto your raid5 array and
then take disk1 out of the raid1 array (killing it) delete the raid1
array, then put the disk back in and tell the raid5 array this is the
new replacement disk.

I've not tried this but dont see why it wouldnt work.

David

If you have a

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk