[Gllug] Multiple X servers

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Mon Dec 30 09:26:27 UTC 2002

On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 03:30:44PM +0000, rich at annexia.org wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 23, 2002 at 10:38:11AM +0000, Tethys wrote:
> > For a fairly comlpex way of getting multiple users on multiple heads,
> > see the following tutorial:
> >
> > 	http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/tutorials/3100/1/
> >
> > Hopefully this'll get easier in time.
>
> There's a tremendous potential cost saving here for places like
> Internet cafes and schools. I wonder how many monitors, keyboards
> and mice it's possible to drive from one PC?

That is exactly why I bought a couple of 'spare' video cards a couple of
weeks ago. Most PCs spend most of their time doing zilch, and word
processing, reading mail, ... are not CPU hogs. So invest in a reasonable
amount of RAM (not much of an investment these days) so that the thing
won't swap & I think that you should be able to run several users off
one box.

The arithmetic is something like this:

	AMD 2000XP box, 512MB RAM, 40G disk, network
	card, 1 17" monitor/keyboard/mouse		£400

	For each extra user:
		17" monitor		£70
		keyboard + mouse	£8
		Graphics card		£10		£100

So:
	1 User			£400/user
	2 User			£250/user
	3 User			£200/user

I want to benchmark to see how many users one can put on one
box & still get a good 'user experience'.

All prices approx + VAT.

Or, instead of spending £70 on a 17" monitor, spend £170 on a 15"
flat screen or £270 on a 17" flat screen.

OK, not what you want for gaming, but for an office/school/...

Oh, of course Linux + Open Office means £0 licensing fees.
M$ would find the above difficult to even come close.

--
Alain Williams

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk