[Gllug] OT(ish): Advice

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Mon Dec 9 22:26:38 UTC 2002

In message <E55DEFE8-0918-11D7-B66C-00039345B712 at actuality.co.uk>,
Matthew Thompson <matt at actuality.co.uk> writes

>Much though you and others may find this dis-tasteful I am going to
>suggest Microsoft's .NET languages. Mostly VB.net and C#.net
>
>They're getting more and more popular and there are loads of books to
>get you started. There is a bit of an entry barrier though in that you
>have to purchase the development environment as the free C# compilers
>don't yet support the technologies that most paying customers will be
>looking at (Web services and ASP.net etc)

Is that true of the Microsoft .NET SDK? That's free, and there is also a
free IDE that supports multiple languages. See
http://www.icsharpcode.net

The language to avoid right now, apparently, is Java. The world is
knee-deep in Java programmers. Every recent computing graduate programs
in Java.

On the Windows front the choice is probably between VB for general
business apps and C++ for fancy stuff.

--
Bernard Peek
bap at shrdlu.com