[Gllug] RAID 1 and RAID 5

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Wed Dec 4 14:38:42 UTC 2002

Daniel Andersson wrote:
> i'm assuming you're speaking about a HW solution?
> then it's up to the HW, but most of them (the ones i've dealt with at least)
> doesn't support that
>
> if you want to change the raid you have to rebuild the entire thing (ie
> delete raid-device and add it back in)
> destroying all the data..
It is a software solution that runs from the /etc/raidtab file:

raiddev /dev/md0
         raid-level      5
         nr-raid-disks   2
         nr-spare-disks  0
         parity-algorithm        left-symmetric
         chunk-size      32
         persistent-superblock 1
         device          /dev/hda1
         raid-disk       0
         device          /dev/hdc1
         raid-disk       1
#        failed-disk    1

What I have just noticed and the maikraid did not complain about was
that the raidtab is already set to raid 5.

I managed a raid 5 with one disk ;-) (one working, one failed....)

So there should not be a problem adding a third, or would someone like
to disagree?

Kind regards
Xander

--
fenderberg, n.:
	The large glacial deposits that form on the insides

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk