[Gllug] ADSL Linux

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Thu Dec 12 17:01:39 UTC 2002

chris.wareham at btopenworld.com writes:

>I've got a six million dollar question that none of the review sites
>has answered for me. What's the best router for BT ADSL if I just
>want one ethernet socket, no builtin firewall and no NAT/IP
>masquerading? Something like the following setup:
>
>Internet ----> [Router] ----> [BSD Firewall] ---> [hub]- - -
>
>I simply want something that allows me to stuff the BT supplied
>Alcatel modem in a cupboard, configure a simple router, and run a
>network of non-USB machines off of it.

Looks identical to my setup. As for the best router, I don't know, but
I'm using the Alcatel one supplied by BT when I got my connection (it
was in the days before wires-only, so I had to take what they gave me).
I had to explicitly ask them to configure it as non-NAT, but once they'd
done that, it all worked fine.

To be honest, if you just want it to be a plain router, then pretty much
*any* of them will do. What makes one router better than another tends to
be the extra features (firewalling, NAT, security policies, etc.), none
of which you're going to be using...

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk