[Gllug] Hi all

Jonathan Dye jonathan.dye at automationpartnership.com
Thu Dec 19 14:34:51 UTC 2002

Peter Adamson wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've just signed up to this mailing list,
> I'm still a semi-geek / geek-in-training with around 2 years
> experience of Linux & 14months commercial experience.

Welcome to the list.

> I'm currently using RH 7.3, on a pc I've built.
> Its an Athlon 1700XP, with a ridiulously large heat sink &
> fan. So large in fact that the motherboard cpu heatsink
> combination, doesn't actually fit with the psu in the case!
> Currently the PSU is outside & my stupidly large fan creates
> about 40dB of nosie!.
> I currently have a pillow trying to muffle the damm thing.

I've just built myself a fan controller with a temperature sensor to slow
down my CPU and system fans when they aren't needed which has done a lot to
reduce the noise my PC makes.  Unfortunately I broke a fin on the CPU fan
when I was playing around and it now vibrates like mad when running at full
speed so it goes from quieter than before when the CPU is cool to *really*
loud when the CPU is hot.  I've also discovered that the fan on one of the
motherboard  chips is actually the noisiest fan in the system.

If anyone is interested in building the fan controller then I can provide a
diagram and parts list.

> This you see was the first time I attempted to build my own PC! Do'h
>
> Anyhow like many people I'm currently out of work.
> Does anyone know of a company hiring Linuxy people (I pray I
> won't have to accept a Windoze job!)
>
> & when does everyone meet up to have beer?

JD

MessageLabs Virus Scanning Service

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk