[Gllug] Window Managers

Peter Childs blue.dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Dec 31 16:54:49 UTC 2002

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, Tethys wrote:

> KDE in particular is guilty of more bloat than even Microsoft can
manage.
> Looking at the process table while it was running, I was horrified. I
> suspect GNOME may be similar, but since the panel dumped core on startup,
> I couldn't check...
>
> Both GNOME and KDE need some *serious* work on their default setups to
> ensure they work on older machines. I'm not saying we need to consider
> a 386 here. But a K6-450 should easily be able to run a graphical
> desktop. To say I'm unimpressed is a *huge* understatement.
>
> Tet

	hmm X is bad enough but KDE and Gnome do NOT help! I've now taken
to using WindowMaker with Konsole, since I never used much else of KDE any
how! Anyway the multiude of docking apps available is nice!
	I to am not sure what KDE does with its time (Gnome too for that
matter I've seen it running tooo) If WindowMaker can do it all why can't
KDE do the same (and a little more in the same time or less)
	I'm told they run Corba etc but even these things but even these
should not bring in so much bloat. Plus when I linked my Qt app against
KDE it bloats. Now Qt ain't good (hmm it takes ages to just shift data
round memory) but it ain't THAT bad (Qt is under KDE for thouse who don't
know).
	Now for a cure. (which I ain't got the time to carry out) Create a
new (yes yet another new) distro that is user frendly but slick (probably
based on WindowMaker becuase I like it and the graphical configation is
not bad) has every thing but defaults to a nice quick desktop! Oh hang on
thats what I'm planning for my users desktop here at work (Planning to use
RedHat with WindowMaker as the default desktop :) !).

Peter Childs

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk