[Gllug] Cheapest possible diskless nodes

John Hearns John.Hearns at cern.ch
Fri Dec 13 15:10:11 UTC 2002

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, William Boughton wrote:

> You could buy a LMR810 with a Duron 1200 glued on + fan with a stick
> of 256mb ram for 85 quid last weeks at the computer fair.
>
> Then it is a simple matter to linuxbios them and you've got a nice
> netbooting compute node.

That was kinda my idea.
But these VIA Eden boards are SOOO nice...

> I'm considering buying one or 2 of these tomorrow if i'm feeling
> upto going into london.  I'm wondering if i could get away
> with one power supply /2 or more boards?

Hmmmm.
That's part of what I was thinking about - if you just rack up some
uncased boards to make a cluster, then the power supplies are pretty
bulky. I thought of 1U high power supplies, but these would probably
be expensive.
Is it a simple matter to split ATX type PSUs between boards, given the
power on/off connectors? And do you have a source for the splitter
cables?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk