[Gllug] how to check for a transparent proxy

Jonathan Harker jharker at massey.ac.nz
Tue Dec 3 19:47:38 UTC 2002

On Wednesday 04 Dec 2002 7:28 am, itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:
> Now, what has been suggested is an extra rewrite on the way out of the
> gateway box, so that the ip packets sent from the proxy application on
> the gateway box to the remote webserver have the source header rewritten
> to contain the ip address of the original client machine.

I'm no expert but...

Wouldn't that more-or-less require all the client boxes to have a static, real
IP address (not just a Class A/B/C address)? That would be impractical for a
large (eg. University) LAN. I suppose IP6 128 bit IP addresses are designed
to solve this problem?

Luv Jon

--
Jonathan Harker
MUSAC

My advice to you, my violent friend, is to seek out gold and sit on it.
		-- The Dragon to Grendel, in John Gardner's "Grendel"

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk