[Gllug] OT Firewire/Fast Networking

John Hearns John.Hearns at cern.ch
Tue Dec 10 08:12:37 UTC 2002

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Matthew Thompson wrote:

> > No. Firewire gives 50KB/s, while modern IDE drives can handle 100MB/s
> > or
> > more (in bursts, at least -- sustained numbers are likely to be a bit
> > lower).
>
> Firewire is limited to a hub arrangements and does not have the
> distances required for a classroom of 23 computers.
>
> What is needed is some way of getting all the machines to copy the
> source files from the server - ideally a broadcast mechanism however
> you may find that using applescript provides an easy way to get them
> all copying at once.

I agree.
In a semi pro/professional environment you would have an editing station,
consisting of a Mac G4 (or whatever) with a dedicated RAID array.
Giving high-speed access to 23 other clients is only really feasible with
a SAN arrangement - and this isn't feasible with a lab of 23 iMacs.
Copying the video clips locally is the best way to go I think.

> files required. If you do not have space to be able to do this then
> nothing short of a high speed RAID setup networked on the gigabit port
> of a switch is going to give you anywhere near the performance you'll
> need.

Agreed.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk