[Gllug] GNOME Disk Activity

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Tue Dec 10 19:51:28 UTC 2002

On Tue, 10 Dec 2002, Matthew Allum stated:
> So either maybe you dont have fam installed and gnome is dropping back
> to continually poll the disk :( or you are running an older ( 2.2.x ?
> ) kernel that lacks DNOTIFY support, and thus again polling is used
> instead.

... which will of course cause disk activity every five seconds or so to
update the polled directories' atimes.

> Of course I could be completely wrong and it could be nothing to do
> with gnome and infact be something like ext3, which likes to play with
> the disks quite frequently ( IIRC ).

I see no sign of more frequent disk access here; obviously the journal
gets accessed a lot, but not unless some other write elsewhere on the fs
is happening.

--
`Ah, but don't you feel the jackboot of state oppression whenever you have
 to deal with the uniformed storm-troopers of government bureaucracy, viz.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk