[Gllug] Newbie asks: how to learn?

N London John northlondonjohn at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Dec 20 01:08:17 UTC 2002

Hi,

Two (related) questions and a general query:

1: Can anyone recommend decent books on linux for a newbie? Nothing too
high-falutin' (obviously) but also nothing too simple (I'm not stupid).
I know there's lots of info available on the net, but I do prefer
reading and referring to dead tree.

2: The more I'm getting into this linux lark, the more I want (and
need) to know about the hardware side of things. And here, there's real
limits to just reading about it - hands-on experience is definitely
required. What's the best way to learn? Are there any decent
courses/night classes in London on this?

The general query is this: I know that the best way to learn something
is by doing it. (I'm still on Knoppix & Demo Linux, so there's limits
to what I can do at the mo').The problem I'm running into, is how to
make sense of all the (vast quantities of) information out there? I've
a list of linux related bookmarks a mile long. It's difficult to know
where to start and what to trust (a lot of the info, even for some
newbie sites, is technically beyond me).

This is a bit vague - hope you know what I mean.

By the way, got a Tixi modem from Morgans, on this lists recommendation
- many thanks to you all. Will be installing Mandrake over the Xmas
break.

John

http://uk.my.yahoo.com

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk