[Gllug] newbie/problem

Dermot Moynihan dermoyn at onetel.net.uk
Tue Dec 10 22:36:42 UTC 2002

At 21:42 10/12/02, you wrote:
>Nix wrote:

>>[snip]
>>
>>>This is about equivalent to buying a new car because you locked your
>>>keys in the glove compartment.
>>
>>Not only is it overkill, but a reinstall doesn't teach you anything
>>about what went wrong, how to fix it *without* a reinstall or anything
>>else. If you have to work out a way to fix it without reinstalling
>>then you have to learn more to do that.
>While I agree that it would provide a great learning experience, It is not
>a great introduction for a newbie to Linux.  The vast majority of installs
>that I do go without a glitch.
>
>I would rather start again rather than be hunting down problems for the
>next six months rather than having a good stable usable system.
>
>In short I agree and disagree. :-)
>
>Kind regards
>Xander
>>
>>I find that I learn a lot every time something goes catastrophically
>>wrong :)

It's hard to disagree with anything that's been said, though usually I'd
have a damn good try. However, as a newbie myself who knows how
discouraging the whole thing can be I'd suggest putting  a bit of time into
trying to fix the thing, taking on board the advice given here. But when
you get sick of that (if it doesn't work, of course) install the thing
again. You'll have enough of new problems soon enough.  So don't worry too
much about such opportunites going missing. The only sure thing about this
business is that there is another problem right around that corner.
You want to get it working and enjoy what it can do. You don't want to
spend all your time trying to fix it.
While trying to fix it take note of anything of relevance, literally -
notebook.
I haven't a clue how to fix your problem, by the way :)

Dermot

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk