[Gllug] Newbie asks: how to learn?

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Fri Dec 20 14:37:45 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-12-20 at 14:03, james at soon.co.uk wrote:
> *Learn Midnight Commander.
> For the more or less the same reasons as vi.

Huh?  I'm not really sure why you recommend this.  I don't think I have
a single system with it even installed!  It definitely wouldn't fit on a
floppy.  And doesn't offer more than a shell for getting out of corners
(and would have to be a pretty lame corner considering mc depends on
perl).  Knowing things like the "echo *" trick is better for corners. ;)

Anyway, if you have a lot of time, then you could try what me and my old
flatmate did one year (whilst at uni): we went through /bin and /usr/bin
from a to z and read up on each command in detail.  And if you have the
time, I'd definitely recommend doing this.

Pete

--
Pete Ryland
http://pdr.cx/