[Gllug] Recovering a RH6.2 system with a corrupt RPM database

Xander D Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Wed Dec 4 09:33:24 UTC 2002

John Winters wrote:
> One of my customers has a RH 6.2 system on which the RPM database has
> become corrupted.  Each time any reference to the ppp package is
> made using the rpm tool, the tool crashes with a segmentation fault.
>
> That is, if you do an "rpm -qa" you get a listing up to and including
> the ppp package, then rpm crashes.  If you do a query on a package
> alphabetically before the ppp one it works.  If you do a query on one
> alphabetically after it crashes.
>
> An "rpm --rebuilddb" also crashes with a segmentation fault.
>
> Is there any way of recovering the system without re-installing?  It's
> working fine apart from the corrupt rpm database.
>
> TIA,
> John
>
> P.S.  The system is patched pretty much up to date, including the the
> RPM 4 update.

I had similar problems with a redhat 7.1 machine.  I luckily had another
machine with a sort of similar set up.  I copied /var/lib/rpm from one
to the other and all worked well.  Any chance that you have a similar
machine?

Kind regards
Xander

--
Curiosity killed the cat, but satisfaction brought her back.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk