[Gllug] undelete???

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Dec 2 11:37:29 UTC 2002

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Bruce Richardson wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 11:57:19AM +1300, Jonathan wrote:
> > If one stupidly deletes a file with rm, is there an
> undelete, like there used
> > to be in DOS? (I realise it isn't guaranteed that you'll get
> your data back
> > if it has been overwritten since)
>
> If it was a small file, deleted recently, there's a chance.
> The
> Midnight Commander file manager offers this option.  If you
> don't have
> mc, a couple of options are described here:
> http://e2undel.sourceforge.net/recovery-howto.html.
>
> One of the extended attributes for the ext2 filesystem is
> designed to
> mark a file so that it should be recoverable, if deleted.
> This isn't
> currently implemented, though.

 I've seen Engarde in action, which is a computer forensic tool,
quite expensive and only windows, even though it supports some
linux filesystems.

There is a free tool made by @stake, TASK, it supports ext2, and
it can find deleted files, if it can recover them I am not sure.

 www. at stake.com/research/tools/task

 I will have a look at it in the future.

 P.D: This might be to much trouble for just a file.

   . .                              Formi
   / \ GZ           MDK 9.0 ThinkPad 560E
  // \\/
 /( _ )     Linux Registered User #235743
  ^   ^

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk