[Gllug] Urgent

Andrew Halliwell ah at gnd.com
Mon Dec 2 10:57:47 UTC 2002

> On Sat, 2002-11-30 at 08:50, Sudhir Anand wrote:
> > Please do not respond to this message.  Ignore it altogether.
> >
> > On Friday 29 November 2002 22:52, Dr.Tom Tanga wrote:
> > > STRICTLY PRIVATE & CONFIDENTIAL.
>
> [Nigerian scam snipped]
>
> This is the one kind of UBE I do respond to and am thinking of setting
> up an auto-responder.  They're unique in that they do actually tend to
> have a real reply-to address.  If everyone responded, either with a
> simple, "No thanks" or something more direct, the senders would be
> thoroughly overwhelmed and it might discourage them.

The other alternative is to do what someone reported on /. did a while back,
and play along. Say they were interested, that they'd help with the money
transfer and generally waste as much time as possible while having a laugh
at their expense... It even got to the point where he said "I need the
money, now! I caught my wife with another man, and it won't be long before
the police find the body. Send me the info on where to go, as I'll be
leaving the country asap"

Of course, he then published all the correspondence on a web page.
Quite funny.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk