[Gllug] Universities and degrees in computing.

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Sun Dec 29 19:00:48 UTC 2002

Stig Brautaset writes:

>I'm at Westminster and I don't recommend anyone going there (for IT at
>least). I'm on Harrow campus though, maybe Cavendish is okay.

I've always been somewhat bemused by this -- "University of Westminster,
Harrow campus". I live in Harrow, and work in Westminster, and if they're
one and the same, I'm wondering why my morning commute takes an hour...

Anyway, to answer the question... my knowledge of University IT departments
is at least a decade out of date, but at that time, the notable Universities
were:

	Cambridge
	UKC
	Edinburgh
	Southampton

I went to UKC, and when I was there, they had a lot of talented people
on the staff, and a lot of "in house" Unix knowledge. I believe since then,
they've succumbed to the Redmond machine[1], but there's still a lot of
decent staff there. If nothing else UKC is (or at least was) very good
at preserving Unix culture. They were very good at giving the reasons why
certain things turned out the way they did, rather than just expecting us
to blindly accept them.

Tet

[1] I found this Ian Utting quote on the net: "I suspect that most of you
have used Microsoft Windows. That's why we use it. Not because we like it.
Not because it's good."

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk