[Gllug] Kernel - Enterprise Vs SMP

Paul Nasrat pauln at truemesh.com
Thu Dec 5 15:45:35 UTC 2002

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 03:29:24PM -0000, Andy Young wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just a quick question, can anyone tell me the basic lowdown on the
> difference between the "straight out of the box" kernels:
>
> 2.4.7-10enterprise
> 2.4.7-10smp

A good place to look is www.kernelnewbies.org which has the vendor
kernels unravelled. I assume you are dealing with an rpm based kernel
(as RH uses the enterprise flag)

http://www.kernelnewbies.org/kernels/

Can't see a 2.4.7 on them but if you grab the src.rpm (not the
kernel-source rpm) you'll be able to do a diff on the .configs

Main thing is the CONFIG_HIGHMEM64G=y and the arch is MPENTIUMIII

> The enterprise kernel seems to be SMP enabled, so at a guess it has extra
> bells and whistles, but maybe with extra memory overhead?

The spec file gives:

%description enterprise
This package includes a kernel that has appropriate configuration
options enabled for Pentium III machines with 4 Gigabyte of memory or
more.

Paul

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk