[Gllug] Cheapest possible diskless nodes

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Fri Dec 13 14:52:47 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 08:48, Tethys wrote:
> Dermot Moynihan writes:
> >>I can *highly* recommend the Elita K7S5A motherboard.
> >
> >If that's the ECS K7S5A, and it sure sounds like it, I second that
> >recommendation.  Had no problems - using it with a Duron 950. Seems to get
> >on fine with Linux.  I don't think much of the onboard sound and the LAN
> >never worked for me - but that could be me.
>
> Yes, it's the same board. Had no problesm with either sound or LAN. From
> memory, it's using the SIS chipset, which is well supported under Linux.

SiS sound and lan work beautifully, yes.  Video, however, is not so well
supported.  I have a SiS630-based laptop and configuring X (without
resorting to vesa or fb) is a PITA.  And 3D stuff doesn't work
particularly well.  BTW, if you have a SiS-based laptop and you haven't
looked at http://www.winischhofer.net/ yet, then you should. :)

Pete
--
Pete Ryland