[Gllug] networking problem

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Sun Dec 15 16:06:52 UTC 2002

On Sun, Dec 15, 2002 at 03:45:49PM +0000, Mark wrote:
> Hi all,
> I am having problems surfing the internet on my 192.168.1.1 machine
> which is connected to this machine 192.168.1.2 via eth0, and directly to
> the internet via a 56k serial modem ppp0. When I try to connect using
> Kppp internet dialler I get a connection, but then I am not able to
> actually browse any websites. According to the messages from syslogd the
> eth0 connection is "not replacing existing default route to eth0". How
> can I alter things to correct this?

I'd guess that you have configured that box to treat the 192.168.1.2 box
as a gateway and a default route has been set.  pppd connects, tries to
set the default route to go through the newly created connection and
fails because it can't replace the existing route.

What does the routing table look like on the 1.1 box?  What are the
options set up for ppp?  And which distro is this?

--
Bruce

It is impolite to tell a man who is carrying you on his shoulders that
his head smells.